Friday, August 25, 2017

An Immigrants Story

My father Arsenio Rodriguez was born in Pinar Del Rio, Cuba in 1923. His love of cooking came early in his life. In his twenties he owned a small place at the Lanchita de Regla, the place where you could catch a ferry to Havana. (Yes Cuba had a ferry across a bay over 70 years ago) There he would cook Cuban delicacies (Frituritas de Bacalao, Fritas, Croquetas, Papa Rellena, etc.) . Nearby there was a park where singles would come to mingle. The men would walk around the park clockwise, the women counterclockwise. That is where he met my mom. They soon married and had me and my brother. 

He went on to work at The Hotel Nacional De Cuba as a chef and cooked for the workers building the Havana Tunnel till the job was finished. He then became a Merchant Marine. Cooking on ships that traveled all over the world. In 1959 when Batista was overthrown he was in Tampa, he never got back on the ship. He did the paperwork necessary and brought my mom, brother and I in September of 1962 to Tampa. We moved to the Ponce De Leon housing project. We lived at 3 different locations there, Cano Ct., 23rd Ave and 26th Ave. I was 6 years old. I started 1st grade at Orange Grove Elementary. I knew no English. They put me in Mrs. Castellano's class who was trilingual (English, Spanish and Italian). The next year I got lucky and she was teaching 2nd grade so again she was my teacher. Doing this time my mom and dad added 2 girls to the family.

 My father worked hard, most times working 2 jobs. He would cook at one restaurant for lunch and another for dinner. He worked at many restaurants in Tampa, Spanish Park, Las Novedades, Valencia Gardens but his favorite was always The Columbia in Ybor City. He loved Cesar Gonsmart and was always bragging that he was a chef there. In 1967 he bought a 3 bedroom house in the East Tampa neighborhood of Highland Pines. He put $150 down and was paying $54 a month. We lived there for years till we moved to West Tampa where my mom still lives.

This beautiful wonderful man saw me come into this world.
 On August 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM I saw him leave.
I will never forget him!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Stogie. Sorry about your loss.

rgonzmart said...

Your father was a wonderful man, loving father, and mentor to me as I began working at the Columbia. He had so much knowledge of the kitchen. I was blessed to have your father in my life, when I needed direction, to learn to be part of a team, and respect for others. Our family is proud and humbled that he was part of our family at the Columbia for over thirty years. I pray he is resting in eternal peace, awaiting to be reunited with those he loved and that loved him.
I pray God Blesses Arsenio Rodriguez and family!

Julio Rodriguez said...

Thank you very much, Richard!

Unknown said...

Very touching story and sweet comment from Richard

Russ Giambrone said...

I am sorry to read of your loss, and your father's story brought a tear to my eye. Yet, he will always live on in your heart. Thanks for sharing your Father's life with us.

Anonymous said...

A true Tampa original! Sorry for your loss Stogie.

Mayra Rodriguez Figueroa said...

Beautiful story about dad all of it being true...he worked for his family and he worked at what he loved the most.Im proud that he taught me how to cook I will never be as good as he was but I know that what I cook came from learning from him.Im going to miss him so very much I already do but he will always be in my heart and I know he is near me everyday.I love you Papi

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss Stogie. God bless your family.