Ms. Bow, her husband and their two boys came to Cudjoe Key in 1904. She had talked her husband into quitting his job in Chicago and start a new life in the keys. After a few months he left. For the first six months after he left he sent money, but in June 1905, he transferred title to the Cudjoe property to her and that was the last the family ever heard of him. In 1906 she moved to what is now Homestead where she helped organize the Women's Club and started a library which eventually became the city's public library, named the Lliy Lawrence Bow Library. Read more about this remarkable woman here.